Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Heartbreak & Vine Music Festival

Day 8

Tennessee Ernie Ford with Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant.

My dad had a radio program every Sunday on KXLA in Pasadena, just after Tennesse Ernie's program. I used to go to the station with him and Tennessee Ernie would spend a minute or two joking with me. I couldn't have been more than four or five at the time. We always got there to catch the last couple numbers by the band which I guess must have included Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant. What I would to give to go back to that time. I know Buddy Charlton and Leon Rhodes were great, as were Leon McAuliffe and Eldon Shamblin/Junior Barnard for Bob Wills, or Vance Terry and Jimmy Rivers, but I've always had a soft spot for the frenetic playing of Speedy and Jimmy.



Okay, here's another great duo- Buddy Emmons and Danny Gratton- though clearly they never officially played together in a group.

No comments: